March 3, 2010

architecture.



I have visited a few museums in my life, but I really have not particularly noticed or remembered the architecture of the museum itself and I think that is an extremely important point. The focal point of a museum should the objects inside it and the architecture should be close to unnoticeable. As Taniguchi said in the Giebelhausen article, “architecture should not compete with the work of art, the architecture should disappear” (12). But, this is impossible. Architecture is a necessity for the flow of traffic throughout the museum and it is also important for the museum façade itself to portray something about what is inside. As for the architecture of the exhibits themselves, they should melt into the background and not detract or distract in any way from the objects on display.

The museum visit that was most recent and also the one I remember best was to the Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture. The outside of the museum is very interesting and modern. It also has a small amphitheater and a great view of the city of Spokane. When I walked in, there was a beautiful atrium, with high ceilings, and walls of windows. I remember the architecture of these things clearly, but I have no recollection of the architecture of the exhibits aside from the overall flow from exhibit to exhibit. Since the architecture of the exhibits was so forgettable, I was able to concentrate more clearly on the object on display. This article opened my eyes to something I really never considered was important and I am sure that the architecture of the next museum I visit will be totally dissected.

Giebelhausen, Michaela. "The Architecture is the Museum." New Museum Theory and Practice (2006): 41-61. Web. 3 Mar 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment