January 25, 2010

Way of Seeing in a Museum


When I walked into the Northwest Museum of Arts and Culture (MAC) in Spokane, WA, I did not expect to be able to see any of the exhibits. I was there to volunteer, but luckily, and unexpectedly, I was pressured to go and explore the exhibits before working. Because I was not expecting to visit a museum, my way of seeing the exhibits was different than it would normally be. Normally when I visit a museum I have some knowledge of what it holds and a small idea of what the exhibits will be. I was completely taken by surprise at the MAC.

The MAC has three main exhibits; a timeline of Spokane, an American Indian exhibit, and usually one or two art exhibits. When I visited the museum there was also a traveling exhibit titled "Out of This World: Extraordinary Costumes from Film and Television." The Out of This World exhibit made me see popular movies and costumes in a new way. The museum environment made me look at something that normally I would barely even notice while watching a movie; what the people were wearing. When in a museum environment I notice how little details suddenly have importance. I also am aware of how unobservant I am in life outside of a museum. Also, because I was not planning to experience any of the exhibits I had no prejudgments of what I would see. I came into the MAC with an almost completely open mind, without any preconceived beliefs of what I would experience.


Picture of Indiana Jones Jacket from: http://empsfm.org.exhibitions/index.asp

No comments:

Post a Comment